Are you looking to have an impact on the student experience at Northeastern, learn new professional skills, and become part of a community of students developing innovative strategies for student engagement? Do you have great interpersonal skills and enjoy helping others?
Employer Engagement and Career Design (EECD) and Student Success Initiative (SSI) seek students to serve in a hybrid leadership role as a Career Ambassador and Student Success Guide! EECD empowers students to enhance their self-knowledge, design and navigate their journeys, and gain valuable skills to engage in lifelong learning. SSI is an effort driven by the Office of the Senior Vice Chancellor for Education Innovation to enhance the ability of incoming first-year students to access the continuous support and guidance they need to thrive from Day One. The SSI introduces an innovative model for student support that pairs trained 2nd year and above students (Student Success Guides or SSGs) with incoming students through a tailored tech platform. Join us in helping all Huskies become self-directed and adaptable learners with the aim to enhance the student experience, facilitate connections with student support staff, and further solidify Northeastern’s position as a leader in education innovation.
The Career Ambassador and Student Success Guide position is a part-time student employment role (8-10 hours/week). You will receive full training for the following responsibilities. This position is open to both domestic and international students. The pay for this position is $15/hour.
Career Ambassador (5 hours per week)
- Facilitate individual and group coaching on job & internship searching, networking, resumes, cover letters, LinkedIn, interviewing, and related online resources
- Staff the Career Studio for drop-in learner support, both in-person and virtually
- Learn about and educate students on the full spectrum of career-related advising, resources and tools
- Serve as ambassadors of EECD by conducting outreach, creating relevant content, and marketing resources to students, academic departments, residence halls, student organizations, and other campus partners
- Provide in-person and/or remote support for staff and employer-facing events; assist with projects, as needed
- Be a creative, innovative thought partner with EECD and self-develop projects to expand outreach and impact
- Completion of the Career Ambassador training and serving for a year in the role qualifies you for a Career Mentor Digital Badge
Student Success Guide (3-5 hours per week)
- Help NU students gain access quickly and efficiently to support resources available to them at NEU and beyond
- Provide referral support through check-ins via chat, face-to-face connections, and surveys to identify any challenges or information required by students in the SSG’s cohort
- Participate in and facilitate sessions to understand student needs and refer students to appropriate support resources
- Respond to communications from students in a timely fashion
- Actively create an inclusive environment to support the needs of diverse students
- Meet weekly with Success Coordinators and fellow Student Success Guides to share experiences, get and give feedback and improve the overall process for students
- Meet with the Student Support Initiative team, subject matter experts and Success Coordinators for regularly scheduled training and staff meetings
- Participate in the design and execution of initiatives that encourage adoption of the tech platform used to facilitate interactions between students and Student Success Guides
- Contribute to the development of the Student Support Initiative through providing feedback via surveys, discussions, and workshops
- Always maintain confidentiality of students
- Undergraduate 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th year student, or 2nd year Graduate student with co-op/intern/work experience
- Prior experience living on campus preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-driven, independent, and innovative
- Ability to function collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Quick learner: proficient with virtual platforms, including Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and other technologies
- Experience with social media and content creation is a plus
- Commitment to developing respectful, supportive, and inclusive communities
- Available for summer training and monthly Career Ambassador professional development meetings
- Serve as navigation support, directing incoming students quickly and efficiently to the experts and resources they need to explore their interests, build their strengths, and support their well-being
- Support a group of approximately 20 students and will leverage a tech platform to enable regular student check-ins
- Report to a full-time Success Coordinator, who they will meet with regularly for guidance and support
How to apply:
Applications open in March! You will be required to upload your resume and cover letter; in your cover letter please discuss your interest and fit for this role, prior experiences, and any ideas about how we could effectively connect to students and meet their career design and experiential learning needs.
Applications are open from March 3rd – March 27th, 2022.
Questions? Contact Diana Ghattas-Antony at [email protected]