Welcome to Career Design at Northeastern! The U.S. style of education encourages you to take the initiative and engage in effective help-seeking. As an international student, you should:
- become knowledgeable early about process and deadlines for U.S. work authorization (OPT) through the Office of Global Services.
- Check out our International Student resources webpage and join the Northeastern University International Student and Alumni LinkedIn group to identify professionals from your country and career field.
- If you are not fully confident in your English, utilize The International Tutoring Center through Global Student Success to polish your written and spoken English before interviewing for professional positions.
- Connect with NU Temps to see if there are virtual or other on-campus opportunities to build experience and be sure to also complete any requirements for co-op.
In addition, you should advantage of the many opportunities and resources our nationally ranked career center provides to ensure that you’re on the right career path for you. To help you get started, we recommend the Career Design coaching labs below. However, these are only suggestions. Every learner has different needs. Feel free to browse all of the lab descriptions and the full schedule. You are welcome to attend in whatever sequence works best for you and to return to any and all coaching labs for help as often as needed.
All Career Design support is available virtually, including:
- live coaching labs to update you on the changing employment landscape and guide you through all aspects of career design. To sign up for a coaching lab, and view all other Career Design programs, go to our events calendar.
- self-paced Canvas modules on Designing Your Career and Crafting Cover Letters and Resumes accessible 24/7 (we will continue to add modules to parallel our coaching lab offerings)
- Career Studio drop-in hours for quick questions Monday-Friday 1:30-4:30 PM EDT as well as Tuesdays and Wednesdays until 7:00 PM EDT. To sign up for a Studio visit, use this form. You will need to download Microsoft Teams and login with this format: email@example.com, NOT firstname.lastname@example.org
- email email@example.com or call 617.373.2430 with any questions.
In addition, there are many other useful tools and resources available to you:
- Visit the Employer Engagement and Career Design website for helpful resources on drafting your resume using VMock Smart Resumes, practice for an interview with Big Interview, learn Tips for working remotely, and explore major-career guides to see how different fields of study can lead to a variety of occupations.
- Sign into NUworks for posted internship and employment opportunities, as well as other career resources and 2021 co-op opportunities.
- To connect to Northeastern alumni, join NUsource and Northeastern LinkedIn groups.
- To support all aspects of career design as lifelong learning, use the SAIL framework and platform.
Once you’ve taken advantage of our coaching labs and Career Studio to meet your initial needs, individual consultations can be scheduled through myNortheastern.