The roads, dams, bridges, water treatment plants and all other public projects that affect society’s daily lives are developed by civil engineers. Civil engineers also perform the structural design and analysis of buildings, such as skyscrapers. Other areas of civil engineering include construction project management, construction automation, environmental engineering, traffic analysis, and mechanics of materials.
Environmental engineers are involved in water and air pollution control, recycling, waste disposal, and public health issues. Environmental engineers conduct hazardous-waste management studies and evaluate the significance of the municipal sewage and industrial wastewater systems. They analyze scientific data, research controversial projects, and perform quality control checks.
|Air Quality Engineer||Product Safety Engineer|
|Architectural Engineer||Project Engineer|
|City Engineer||Project Manager*|
|Civil Engineer||Quality Assurance Manager*|
|Civil Engineering Manager*||Quality Control Manager*|
|Construction Managers||Railroad Design Consultant|
|Design Engineer||Research Hydraulic Engineer|
|Engineer||Solid Waste Engineer|
|Hazardous Waste Engineer||Structural Engineer|
|Industrial Health Engineer||Transportation and Highway Systems Manager|
|Product Safety Engineer||Water Resources Engineer|
Positions that may require additional education, training or licensing are indicated by an (*).
Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interests as possible, including co-op and internships.
|C.E. Floyd Company Inc.||Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities|
These samples titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
- Engineering Cities internships
- HEV and PHEV technologies internships
- Problem Internships
- Sustainable Solutions to Emerging Environmental Challenges
The following website may assist in finding summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs)
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Vocational Biographies (username: NEUniv; password: RAZDE)
Career Development Videos
Websites for Job Search
- Civil Engineering Jobs
- Engineer Jobs
- National Engineering Resource
- Simply Hired
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
Campus Organizations & Activities
- EWB: Engineers without Borders
- Graduate Certificate in Nanomedicine
- ITI: Institute of Transportation Engineers
- NUASCE: American Society of Civil Engineers
- SHPE: Society of Professional Hispanic Engineers
- SWE: Society of Women Engineers
- Tau Beta Pi: Engineering Honor Society
For additional student involvement opportunities click here.
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers
- National Society of Professional Engineers
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities.