Don’t wait until the last years of your doctoral program to think about what you’re going to do once you graduate! Career Design can work with you throughout your program to better understand your motivations and goals, explore career options, craft documents, learn how to network effectively, and reflect on your progress. We know that every doctoral student is unique, so for this special group, we’ve devised a flexible career design pathway that will help you investigate your interests and develop the skills you’ll need whether you pursue an academic career, an alternate role in higher education, a job in government or at a non-profit organization, or an industry opportunity.
Below, you’ll find some program/workshop suggestions from Career Design that will get you on your way to designing your future career. For additional insightful programming and helpful resources, visit our collaborators at the PhD Network, Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning Through Research (CATLR), and the Office of Global Services (OGS).
- IDP Workshop: Create your own individualized development plan, set goals, and envision potential career outcomes. Check the Career Design calendar for dates and times.
- Networking and Online Identity (Virtual Workshop, Self-Paced Modules)
- Special Interest and Employer-Led Events: We host new and exciting events every year! Keep an eye on the Career Design calendar for this year’s schedule. Past examples include the PhD Career Skills Accelerator, Alumni Panels, the PhD Career Forum: Opportunities in Health, Postdoc Pathways, PhD Careers in Higher Ed, Scholarly Resilience in Challenging Times, Job Search Series: The Pivot – Strategies for Shifting your Career Path, Navigating the Academic Job Market during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Document Preparation (academic and/or industry): Academic CV and Cover Letter, Diversity, Research, and Teaching Statements, Resume (Virtual Workshops or Self-Paced Career Modules)
- PhD Career Appointment
Additional Career Design support includes:
- Career Studio for daily drop-ins (virtual and campus hours)
- Canvas modules parallel coaching labs for 24/7 self-paced instruction. We recommend Designing Your Career for an overview of both the process and our office (and we continue to add new modules, so check back regularly).
- Email [email protected] or call 617.373.2430 with any questions.
There are many other useful tools and resources available to you:
- Visit the Employer Engagement and Career Design website for helpful resources on drafting your resume using VMock Smart Resumes, practice for an interview with Big Interview, learn Tips for working remotely, and explore career guides to see how different fields of study can lead to a variety of occupations.
- Sign into NUworks for posted internship and employment opportunities, as well as other career resources and co-op opportunities.
- Join NUsource and Northeastern LinkedIn groups to connect with alumni.
Once you’ve taken advantage of our coaching labs and Career Studio to meet your initial needs, individual consultations can be scheduled by emailing or calling our office: [email protected] or call 617.373.2430.