Don’t wait until the last years of your doctoral program to think about what you’re going to do once you graduate! Career Design can work with you throughout your program to better understand your motivations and goals, explore career options, craft documents, learn how to network effectively, and reflect on your progress. We know that every doctoral student is unique, so for this special group, we’ve devised a flexible career design pathway that will help you investigate your interests and develop the skills you’ll need whether you pursue an academic career, an alternate role in higher education, a job in government or at a non-profit organization, or an industry opportunity.
Below, you’ll find some program/workshop suggestions from Career Design that will get you on your way to designing your future career. For additional insightful programming and helpful resources, visit our collaborators at the PhD Network, Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning Through Research (CATLR), and the Office of Global Services (OGS).
- IDP Workshop: Create your own individualized development plan, set goals, and envision potential career outcomes. Check the Career Design calendar for dates and times.
- Networking and Online Identity (Virtual Workshop, Self-Paced Modules)
- Special Interest and Employer-Led Events: We host new and exciting events every year! Keep an eye on the Career Design calendar for this year’s schedule. Past examples include, the PhD Career Skills Accelerator, Alumni Panels, the PhD Career Forum: Opportunities in Health, Postdoc Pathways, PhD Careers in Higher Ed, Scholarly Resilience in Challenging Times, Job Search Series: The Pivot – Strategies for Shifting your Career Path, Navigating the Academic Job Market during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Document Preparation (academic and/or industry): Academic CV and Cover Letter, Diversity, Research, and Teaching Statements, Resume (Virtual Workshops or Self-Paced Career Modules)
- Advising: PhD Career Resource Circle (Tuesdays, 4-6pm), PhD Career Studio (Thursdays, 9-11am)
- PhD Career Appointment
To sign up for any Career Design coaching lab, go to our events calendar. In addition, many other useful tools and resources are available:
- Stay abreast of what’s happening in the PhD Network
- Sign into NUworks for posted internship, co-op, employment opportunities, other career resources, and 2021 co-op opportunities. (Fall 2020 co-op opportunities are in NUcareers).
- To connect to Northeastern alumni, join NUsource.
- To support all aspects of career design as lifelong learning, use the SAIL framework and platform.