Media and Screen Studies is devoted exclusively to the study and production of media. Through a wide range of courses, students are exposed to different ways to think about media content, media platforms, and media production. When they graduate, students who major in Media and Screen Studies will be equipped with more than a set of practical skills; more importantly, as they enter the work environment MSCR majors will have the knowledge to think critically about a continually changing and volatile industry and the complicated relationships that exist between media, culture and society.
Our courses are organized around objects and issues central to understanding media. Reflecting the way in which media has traditionally been taught on campus, courses are organized around key media forms: television, film, and popular music. We also offer courses devoted to the media industries and their audiences. Other courses focus on the importance of media representations in cultural understandings of identity and the organization and content of media in the globalized markets and cultures of the 21stcentury.
|Advertising Artist||On-line Editor|
|Computer Graphic Artist||Video Editor|
|Film Maker/Editor||Video Technician|
|Game Designer/Tester||Website Developer|
Positions that may require additional education, training or licensing are indicated by an (*). Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interests as possible, including co-op and internships.
|Bleacher Report||The Film Posse, Inc|
|Blueberry Hill Productions||Wymsee|
|Apparel/Textile Manufacturing||Higher Education|
|Art and Entertainment||Interior Design|
|Film/Media Production||Medical Imaging Companies|
These samples titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
- Documentary Research/Production Internship
- Programming Intern
- Casting Intern
- Visual Research, Photo Editing, and Social Media Content
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Vocational Biographies (username: NEUniv; password: RAZDE)
- AllAbout Careers
- Career Overview
- My Next Move
Career Development Videos
- Careers in Advertising, Part 1
- Careers in Advertising, Part 2
- Careers in Film and TV Production 1
- Careers in Film and TV Production 2
- Careers in Film and TV Production 3
- Careers in Film and TV Production 4
- Careers in Film and TV Production 5
- Careers in Film and TV Production 6
- Careers in Film and TV Production 7
- Careers In Product Development, Design, Marketing or Management
- Careers In The Arts: Putting Your Talent to Work in Community and Youth Programs
- Careers in Web Design and Interactive Media: Part 1
- Careers in Web Design and Interactive Media: Part 2
- Communications Freelance
- Corporate Communications
Websites for Job Search
Campus Organizations and Activities
For additional student organizations click here.
For additional student involvement opportunities click here.
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Craft Council
- American Alliance of Museums
- Association of Medical Illustrators
- National Assembly of State Art Agencies
- Society of Illustrators
- The Society of Publication Designers
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups and Twitter handles. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities.