The Master of Science in Nonprofit Management integrates theory and best practices to prepare you for a leadership position in the nonprofit sector. With rapid change becoming the norm, organizations need strong, adaptive leaders to help them thrive. The Master of Science in Nonprofit Management prepares you for leadership positions at universities, hospitals, charities, foundations, NGOs, or educational and religious organizations—entities with complex needs and limited resources, seeking to make a difference. Unlike a traditional MBA, this degree focuses on core competencies in the nonprofit world: fundraising, policy, strategic management, and the tools to foster positive change. Through action-oriented coursework, opportunities to collaborate with nonprofits, and experiential projects guided by faculty who work in the field, this program prepares you to become a mission-driven leader with the skills to make a meaningful impact.
Concentrations: Fundraising, Leadership and Communication, Project Management, Social Media Analytics, Social Innovation
|Program Manager/Coordinator||Clinical Services Director*|
|Social Services Director/Manager*||Communications Coordinator|
|Membership Associate||Grant Manager|
|Assistant Director||Executive Director*|
|Operations manager||Director of Development|
|Advocate||Human Resources Manager/Generalist|
|Grant Writer||Associate Director of Advancement|
|Volunteer Services Coordinator|
Positions that require additional education or training are indicated by a (*).
Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interest as possible, including Co-op and internships.
This is a limited sample of employers who have posted jobs on NUworks; please note, that they may not currently have positions posted.
This is a sample of the industries that often hire this major.
|Human Rights Organizations||Social Advocacy Organizations|
|Environmental Organizations||Grantmaking Foundations|
|Conservation Organizations||Voluntary Health Organizations|
|Cause-Related Non-Profits in any category|
These sample titles can be used to research internship opportunities in the field.
- Economic Mobility Co-op
- Marketing & Development Internship
- Grant Writer Intern
- Intern for Law & Human Rights Support
- Communications Intern
- Replace with Community Services and Resettlement Co-op
- Advocacy Intern
Students enrolled in the College of Professional Studies may search their website for co-op and internship information.
The following resources include various websites and campus resources that will aid you in exploring this career field and industry.
Websites for Career Exploration
Websites for the Job Search
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Vocational Biographies(username: NEUniv; password: RAZDE)
- O*NET OnLine
Campus Organizations & Activities
- LEAD 360
- Student Government Association
- Council for University Programs (CUP)
- Global Research & Consulting Group Northeastern Chapter
- One for the World Northeastern
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professionals in the field you may contact for informational interview requests and networking opportunities.
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN)
- American Society of Association Executives (ASAE)
- American Society for Public Administration (ASPA)
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM)
- Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO)
- National Council of Nonprofit Associations (NCNA)
Sample LinkedIn.com Groups providing resources such as industry trends, company information, job listings, and networking opportunities within the field:
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management
- Non-Profit and Charity Network
- Jobs in NGOs, International Development Jobs, Non Government Vacancies, Not for Profit Jobs
- Non-Profit Management Professionals
- Non-profit Professionals Toronto
- Global Social Network – Non Profit, NGO, Charity, Social Entrepreneurship, Green Initiatives
- Scope for Change
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management