Psychologists investigate and seek explanations for the behavior and mental life of individuals in addition to developing methods for promoting psychological well-being.
The Psychology curriculum explores such topics as how brain function determines behavior; how we see, hear, and learn; what constitutes abnormal personality; how people develop emotionally and cognitively; and how individuals work in groups. A background in psychology helps prepare students for careers in teaching and research as well as in business, public and social services, education, mental health, law, and medicine.
|Affirmative Action Officer
|Mental Health Counselor
|Child Development Specialist
|Organizational Psychologist *
|College Admissions Counselor
|Pre-Health: Medical, Dental, Vet
|Drug Abuse Educator
|Public Relations Assistant
|Rape Crisis Counselor*
|Forensic Psychologist *
|Human Resources Manager *
|Labor Relations Specialist
Positions that require additional education, training or licensing are indicated by a (*).
Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interest as possible, including co-op and internships.
|Arbour Health System
|North Suffolk Mental Health Assn.
|Big Sister Association of Greater Boston
|Primary & Secondary Education
|Government: Local, State and Federal
|Scientific and Lab Research
These samples titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
- Child Care Worker
- Client Services
- Mental Health Worker
- Research Assistant
- Residential Counselor
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Univ; password: RAZDE)
- All Psychology Careers
- Psychology License Requirements by State
Career Development Videos
Websites for Job Search
Campus Organizations & Activities
- Graduate Psychology
- NU Researchers of Neuroscience
- Northeastern University American Pre-Medical Student Organization
- Pre-Law Society
- Psychology Club
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- American Marketing Association
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP)
- Society for Neuroscience
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media and LinkedIn pages for more information on how to leverage your social media network.
- Northeastern University Career Development
- Northeastern University International Students and Alumni Networking Group
- sheLEADS at Northeastern