Welcome to Career Design and Northeastern! As a first-year international graduate student, use this year to expand your professional network by building relationships with your faculty, advisers, alumni, and peers. Explore leadership opportunities with student and professional organizations, and conduct informational interviews with professionals to learn more about their work. Reflect on your coursework to identify areas of strong interest and participate in Experiential Network (XN projects), service learning, and other experiential options.
In addition, as an international student, you should:
- Become knowledgeable early about process and deadlines for U.S. work authorization (OPT) through the Office of Global Services.
- Check out our International Student resources webpage and join the Northeastern University International Student and Alumni LinkedIn group to identify professionals from your country and career field.
- If you are not fully confident in your English, utilize The International Tutoring Center through Global Student Success to polish your written and spoken English before interviewing for professional positions.
- Connect with NU Temps to see if there are virtual or other on-campus opportunities to build experience, and be sure to also complete any requirements for co-op.
- You will also benefit from attending the Grad Career Summit in the fall semester, along with Navigating Cross-Cultural Differences, and H1-B and Employment based options (co-sponsored by Global Student Success).
To help you get started, we recommend the Career Design coaching labs below (or equivalent Canvas modules). Feel free to browse our full suite of coaching labs, weekly schedule, and specialty topics. To sign up for a coaching lab, and view all other Career Design programs, go to our events calendar.
You are welcome to attend any coaching lab for help as often as needed:
- Finding Your Fit
- Revising Your Resume
- Crafting Your Cover Letter
- Promoting Your Brand on LinkedIn
- Networking through LinkedIn
- Interviewing with Confidence
- International Student Job and Internship Search Strategies
- Owning Your Career (rotating topic)
Additional Career Design support includes:
- Career Studio for daily drop-ins (virtual and campus hours)
- Canvas modules parallel coaching labs for 24/7 self-paced instruction. We recommend Designing Your Career for an overview of both the process and our office (and we continue to add new modules, so check back regularly).
- Email [email protected] or call 617.373.2430 with any questions.
There are many other useful tools and resources available to you:
- Visit the Employer Engagement and Career Design website for helpful resources on drafting your resume using VMock Smart Resumes, practice for an interview with Big Interview, learn Tips for working remotely, and explore career guides to see how different fields of study can lead to a variety of occupations.
- Sign into NUworks for posted internship and employment opportunities, as well as other career resources and co-op opportunities.
- Join NUsource and Northeastern LinkedIn groups to connect with alumni.
Once you’ve taken advantage of our coaching labs and Career Studio to meet your initial needs, individual consultations can be scheduled by emailing or calling our office: [email protected] or call 617.373.2430.