Welcome to Career Design and Northeastern! As a first-year student, you don’t need to make any career decisions right away. But you do need to engage in effective help-seeking. Take advantage of the many opportunities and resources our nationally ranked career center provides to ensure that you’re on the right path for you.
Whether you are choosing a major or career path or exploring and testing experiential options, we can help you reflect on what matters most to you, discover what problems you want to solve, and figure out a plan for achieving your goals. We can also assist you in preparing your professional portfolio, including your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn and finding internships.
To help you get started, we recommend the Career Design coaching labs below (or equivalent Canvas modules) as well as Career Fair prep sessions when those occur. However, these are only suggestions. Every learner has different needs. Feel free to browse all of the lab descriptions and see the weekly schedule grid below. Rotating topics and Self-Assessment sessions (Wednesdays 12-1 PM ET) can be viewed here. You are welcome to attend in whatever sequence works best for you and to return to any coaching lab for help as often as needed.
- Designing Your Career
- Finding Your Fit: Majors, Careers and Life Design
- Self-assessment (see rotating topics)
- Finding Internships
- Revising Your Resume
- Crafting Your Cover Letter
- Promoting your Brand on LinkedIn
- Interviewing with Confidence
All Career Design support is available virtually, including:
- Career Studio for daily drop-Ins (remote access with some on-campus hours)
- A full suite of live coaching labs on all five aspects of career design. See the weekly schedule grid and select a journey map below for recommendations on labs to attend. For descriptions and dates of Rotating Topics and Self-Assessments (Wednesdays, 12-1 PM ET), click here.
- To sign up for a coaching lab, and view all other Career Design programs, go to our events calendar.
- Canvas modules parallel coaching labs for 24/7 self-paced instruction. We recommend Designing Your Career for an overview of both the process and our office (and we continue to add new modules, so check back regularly).
- Read the Career Design bi-weekly newsletter here for the latest updates (it is also emailed to you on Sundays).
- Email email@example.com or call 617.373.2430 with any questions.
In addition, there are many other useful tools and resources available to you:
- Visit the Employer Engagement and Career Design website for helpful resources on drafting your resume using VMock Smart Resumes, practice for an interview with Big Interview, learn Tips for working remotely, and explore major-career guides to see how different fields of study can lead to a variety of occupations.
- Sign into NUworks for posted internship and employment opportunities, as well as other career resources and 2021 co-op opportunities.
- Join NUsource and Northeastern LinkedIn groups to connect with alumni.
- Use the SAIL framework and platform to support all aspects of career design as lifelong learning.
Once you’ve taken advantage of our coaching labs and Career Studio to meet your initial needs, individual consultations can be scheduled through myNortheastern.