We in Employer Engagement and Career Design are committed to engaging in the ongoing education of ourselves and others, disrupting biases and inequitable systems, and amplifying impact through our partnerships with students, alumni, employers in hiring, programming, and services. It is our goal to continue expanding our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work to support all our constituents in achieving their goals and a more just society. This is our call to action, and we ask you to join us.
Career exploration and advancement are closely tied to one’s intersections of identity. We offer a number of continuously growing resources to support and empower you to navigate your career design as your authentic self.
Join in discussions about identifying your values, embracing cultural identity in your professional brand, navigating microaggressions in the workplace, tackling imposter syndrome, researching inclusive workspaces, and so much more!
Career Design partners with the John D. O’Bryant African American Institute, Asian American Center, Latinx Student Cultural Center, LGBTQA Resource Center, Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, Center for Intercultural Engagement, Social Justice Resource Center, and many more to bring you programs and resources, including:
- B. L.A.C.K. (Black Leaders Accessing Consciousness through Knowledge) and L.A.T.I.N.X. (Latinx Accessing Their Intellect Through Networking and Exchange)
- Reach(OUT) LGBTQA+ Career Conference
- Navigating Microaggressions in the Workplace
- Tackling Imposter Syndrome in the Job Search and Workforce
- Embracing Cultural Identity in Your Professional Brand
To help you get started, we recommend the Career Design coaching labs below (or equivalent Canvas modules) as well as Career Fair prep sessions when those occur. However, these are only suggestions. Every learner has different needs. Feel free to browse all of the lab descriptions and see the weekly schedule grid below. Rotating topics and Self-Assessment sessions (Wednesdays 12-1 PM ET) can be viewed here. You are welcome to attend in whatever sequence works best for you and to return to any coaching lab for help as often as needed.
- Finding Your Fit: Majors, Careers, and Life Design
- Self-Assessment (rotating topics)
- Promoting Your Brand on LinkedIn
- Networking on LinkedIn
- Identity and Career Series
- International Student Job Search and Internship Strategies
- Navigating Cross-Cultural Differences in the American Job Search
- Staying Positive During Your Job Search
All Career Design support is available virtually, including:
- Career Studio for daily drop-Ins (remote access with some on-campus hours)
- A full suite of live coaching labs on all five aspects of career design. See the weekly schedule grid and select a journey map below for recommendations on labs to attend. For descriptions and dates of Rotating Topics and Self-Assessments (Wednesdays, 12-1 PM ET), click here.
- To sign up for a coaching lab, and view all other Career Design programs, go to our events calendar.
- Canvas modules parallel coaching labs for 24/7 self-paced instruction. We recommend Designing Your Career for an overview of both the process and our office (and we continue to add new modules, so check back regularly).
- Read the Career Design bi-weekly newsletter here for the latest updates (it is also emailed to you on Sundays).
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617.373.2430 with any questions.
In addition, there are many other useful tools and resources available to you:
- Visit the Employer Engagement and Career Design website for helpful resources on drafting your resume using VMock Smart Resumes, practice for an interview with Big Interview, learn Tips for working remotely, and explore major-career guides to see how different fields of study can lead to a variety of occupations.
- Sign into NUworks for posted internship and employment opportunities, as well as other career resources and 2021 co-op opportunities.
- Join NUsource and Northeastern LinkedIn groups to connect with alumni.
- Use the SAIL framework and platform to support all aspects of career design as lifelong learning.
Once you’ve taken advantage of our coaching labs and Career Studio to meet your initial needs, individual consultations can be scheduled through myNortheastern.