The term “consultant” alone, may refer to a variety of potential vocational paths in multiple industries. Consultants are hired to help companies and organizations pinpoint business problems and trouble spots; help plot an organization’s next move; or generally transform the organization’s work practices to make them more efficient, productive, and less wasteful. Consultants provide an outside, objective, in depth point of view to help organizations spot problems or better their performance in ways that the organization might not be able to see.
Consulting opportunities are available in every industry but are most commonly found in the following: accounting, finance, human resources and employee training/development, technology, branding and marketing, management, and project management.
|Accounting Consultant||IT Consultant|
|Business Consultant||Market Research Analyst|
|Compensation Consultant||Non-Profit Consultant|
|Diversity Recruitment Consultant||Project Manager|
|Environmental Compliance Consultant||Research Analyst|
|Financial Consultant||Risk Management Consultant|
|Global Affairs Consultant||Tax Analyst|
|Healthcare Consultant||Strategic Development Consultant|
|Human Resources Consultant|
Some positions may require additional experience or licensing.
|Boston Consulting Group (BCG)||Maximus|
|Cambridge Associates, LLC||McKinsey & Company|
|Eze Software Group||Walkwater Technologies|
|Accounting||Human Resources/Employee Training and Development|
These samples titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
Business Analyst Intern
- Development Intern
- Marketing Intern
- Market Analyst Intern
- Human Resources Intern
- Project Management Intern
- Social Media Intern
Use NUcareers, , , or to search for openings.
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Univ; password: RAZDE)
Career Development Videos
Career Conversation: Consulting and Project Management
Websites for Job Search
Campus Organizations and Activities o
- D’Amore-McKim School of Business Volunteers
- Entrepreneurs Club
- Finance and Investment Club
- International Business Club of Northeastern University
- Northeastern Supply Chain Management Club
- Northeastern University Economics Society
- Northeastern University Mechanical Contractors Association of America
For additional student organizations click here.
For additional student involvement opportunities click here.
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- Direct Marketing Association
- International Association of Registered Financial Consultants
- Institute of Management Consultants USA
- Professional and Technical Consultants Association
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups and Twitter handles. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media and LinkedIn pages for more information on how to leverage your social media network.
- Northeastern University Career Development
- Northeastern University International Students and Alumni Networking Group
- sheLEADS at Northeastern
- Association of Management Consulting Firms (AMCF)
- Big Four Accounting Consulting
- Consulting Services
- Environmental Consulting Jobs
- Environmental Consulting Project Managers
- H.R. Consulting
- Management Consulting & Business Analysis
- Strategy Consulting Network