As discussed in this recent article by Northeastern’s AVP of Career Design, careers never remain static and frequently require pivots in new directions. You have likely already decided to either advance in your career or make an intentional change in another direction. Career Design can work with you after you graduate to better understand your goals, explore career options, craft documents, learn how to network effectively, and help you to Reflect and Recalibrate – a key aspect of career design as lifelong learning. Whether you are looking to make a career change, need advice on navigating to a promotion, or simply want someone to review your resume, Career Design is still here for you in the first seven years after you graduate, and other resources are available through Alumni Relations.
A strong career strategy incorporates reflection on what matters most to you, including the problems you want to solve, possible upskilling needs, a savvy job search strategy, and an action plan to move forward. Take advantage of the many opportunities and resources our nationally ranked career center provides to help you to align your career goals with your strengths, values, and interests and refine and demonstrate your unique brand as you design the next chapter of your career journey.
To help you get started, we recommend the Career Design coaching labs below (or equivalent Canvas modules) as well as Career Fair prep sessions when those occur. However, these are only suggestions. Every learner has different needs. Feel free to browse all of the lab descriptions and see the weekly schedule grid below. Rotating topics and Self-Assessment sessions (Wednesdays 12-1 PM ET) can be viewed here. You are welcome to attend in whatever sequence works best for you and to return to any coaching lab for help as often as needed.
- Designing Your Career
- Advancing Your Career
- Crafting Your Cover Letter
- Preparing Your Advanced Resume
- Promoting Your Brand on LinkedIn
- Networking Through LinkedIn
- Interviewing with Confidence
- Negotiating Job Offers and Salaries
- Preparing for Law/Graduate School
- Self-Assessment (MBTI, Strengths): See Events
International Student Alumni/ae should also see the International student journey maps for additional resources. To sign up for a coaching lab, and view all other Career Design programs, go to our events calendar.
All Career Design support is available virtually, including:
- Career Studio for daily drop-Ins (remote access with some on-campus hours)
- A full suite of live coaching labs on all five aspects of career design. See the weekly schedule grid and select a journey map below for recommendations on labs to attend. For descriptions and dates of Rotating Topics and Self-Assessments (Wednesdays, 12-1 PM ET), click here.
- To sign up for a coaching lab, and view all other Career Design programs, go to our events calendar.
- Canvas modules parallel coaching labs for 24/7 self-paced instruction. We recommend Designing Your Career for an overview of both the process and our office (and we continue to add new modules, so check back regularly).
- Read the Career Design bi-weekly newsletter here for the latest updates (it is also emailed to you on Sundays).
- Email [email protected] or call 617.373.2430 with any questions.
In addition, there are many other useful tools and resources available to you:
- Visit the Employer Engagement and Career Design website for helpful resources on drafting your resume using VMock Smart Resumes, practice for an interview with Big Interview, learn Tips for working remotely, and explore major-career guides to see how different fields of study can lead to a variety of occupations.
- Sign into NUworks for posted internship and employment opportunities, as well as other career resources and 2021 co-op opportunities.
- Join NUsource and Northeastern LinkedIn groups to connect with alumni.
- Use the SAIL framework and platform to support all aspects of career design as lifelong learning.
Once you’ve taken advantage of our coaching labs and Career Studio to meet your initial needs, individual consultations can be scheduled by contacting 617-373-2430.